Dreams and Goals of 2011
Among all the successes of 2011. There is one glaring failure.
1. Finish my thesis. I did not complete goal 1. So, that goes back on the list for 2012. It makes it back on the list five times as it is goals 1 through 5. It is in progress and it is getting closer every day.
2. Catch a fish in each month of the year - accomplished. I like this goal. It represents a level of dedication throughout the year. In 2010, I caught a fish every month of the year. A couple of whitefish represented January 2010's success. In 2011, all trout --- all the time. This one goes back on the D & G 2012 list.
3. Catch a 20" cutthroat, 24" rainbow, and 24" brown trout. - only got one of these done. The 24" brown. I could be over-estimating it's size, but for the sake of ego rubbing let's say that this fish was 24" of brown trout.
4. Catch 3 or more trout of 20" in a day of fishing - a man can dream right. Well, I dreamt about this, but nothing came of it. Maybe it will happen this year.
5. Catch 20"+ brown trout out of the (name redacted) ponds - see goal 3.
6. Catch a 22"+ rainbow or brown trout out of Warm Springs Ponds. - I failed miserably at this. I had a whopper on at one point. But, it quickly wriggled free. Bucko certainly caught a 22"+ rainbow out of the ponds.
7. Go fishing in Wyoming. I should have described this in greater detail. Go fishing in Wyoming outside of Yellowstone Park. I did neither. I was set to hit the Wind River Range with Bucko this summer, but a familial visit conflicted with the scheduled visit. This year...this year.
8. Fish for bullies and cutties on the South Fork of the Flathead. Didn't do it.
9. Catch a fish on a mouse pattern. Failed. But, I was recently provided with some of the goods to make this year a mousing success.
10. Go night fishing and then do more night fishing. Success. Not a rousing success, but a success. Need to grow a pair and get an alarm clock that works and do some serious night fishing this year.
11. Catch fish on the following waters. There were a lot of bodies of waters on this list. I fished some and didn't fish others. There is a lot of water in Montana, I surprisingly didn't fish it all.
12. Make more videos. Make better videos. Make videos with less shaky elements. Make it on to Moldy Chum and the like (Fish Porn, Le Mouching, Global Fly Fisher). This year was a good year for YGF. I was lucky enough to have my videos featured on Moldy Chum, Headhunters Fly Shop, Fish Porn, Le Mouching, Global Fly Fisher, Orvis News, Chi Wulff, The Fiberglass Manifesto and 45 other sites this year. Humbling to say the least.
13. Catch fish on sub-surface/"nymphed" grasshoppers. I fished streamers a lot this year. So much so, that nymphing and dry fly fishing took a backseat. The kind of backseat that the old Taurus' and Volvo's had. I didn't fish this way often. But, it was successful once with a reasonably sized brown trout on the Big Hole.
14. Catch a northern pike on the fly. Tried and failed. Instead, Bucko and I managed to catch some nice rainbows in the seemingly pike-y sloughs and backwaters.
Here is the Dreams and Goals of 2012 for YGF. This one is more species focused rather than location based.
1. - 5. Finish thesis.
6. Catch a trout in every month of the year (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec). I can already cross out January. Boo sha.
7. Catch a fish on a mouse pattern. This mouse pattern.
8. Catch a carp on the fly.
9. Catch bass on the fly.
10. Catch redfish on the fly.
11. Catch a northern pike on the fly
12. Catch a steelhead on the fly
13. Learn to spey cast with a reasonable amount of success
14. Hit a legit hatch on the Missouri and promptly get humbled fishing dries to big fish.
16. Tie an articulated streamer and catch a 20" fish with said streamer.
17. Tie a custom articulate streamer pattern. Give it a bland and boring name.
18. Make a video that gets more than 9,999 views.
19. Catch 3 or more trout of 20" in a day of fishing
20. Catch a 20" cutthroat, 24" rainbow, and 24" brown trout.
21. Fish some top secret water in Wyoming
22. Fish in Alberta.
There it is. The 2012 Dreams and Goals list. I may add a couple things to this list in the next coming days. Any suggestions?