|1. Tempo Vertix||2. KastKing Royal Legend||3. KastKing Spartacus|
Baitcasting reels usually consist of a revolving spool which is mounted in a suitably rigid frame. Baitcasting rods feature trigger-style handgrips and top-mounted line guides. These are considered to be the best rods to be used with these specific reels.
Baitcasting reels are counted as the most-used and popular reels that are being extensively used by several of the modern anglers. This is considered as an optimum choice for those individuals who are keen at targeting large gamefish or those wanting to use the heavy gears.
However, this is a fact that most of the anglers find using these reels to be challenging and they have to go through a learning curve before they can use it optimally. With some level of practice, they end up using the same as a pro.
Baitcasting reels are available in various ways and thus different models of best baitcasting reels are available in the market. Here, you can read about the best baitcasting reels buying tips, accessories, FAQs and other related information which can be of great use to you.
Top 15 Best Baitcasting Reels 2020
1. Tempo Vertix LP Baitcasting Reel
This is one of the best baitcasting reels available in the market which is known for its high performance. Being in the industry for manufacturing rods and reels for the past 50 years, Tempo provides externally adjustable braking system that also offers maximum casting distance which minimizes the chances of backlashes considerably, thus balancing performance with flexibility.
There is a braid-ready machined aluminum spool offering a great retrieve without the usual line slips. There is a 6.6:1 gear ratio and long-lasting brass pinion gear that will ensure a very smooth operating reel.
- This has a smooth retrieve and casting which is possible due to its 9 high-quality ball bearings that are made up of stainless steel and also a 1 instant anti-reverse bearing which deliver the maximum smoothness during the retrieval.
- The design is comfortable and ergonomic.
- The reel of Vertix LP is very compact and enables you to very easily palm the reel for maximizing the user’s comfort during the course of fishing.
- The Vertix LP has a drag which is made up of carbon fiber that is very powerful and smooth. A max drag of 20 lbs. will help in controlling those fishes which are larger in size.
- This product comes with a satisfaction liability period of 1 year and also a 30-day absolutely risk-free trial to provide you with complete peace of mind.
- This is very easy to learn.
- Some consumers find the price to be high.
2. KastKing Royale Legend II Baitcasting Reel
KastKing is known for its commendable engineering and offers the best fishing reel which is totally redesigned for optimum performance, comfort and durability. KastKing Royale Legend II is considered to be one of the best baitcasting reels having a graphite frame.
Also, the side frames are very compact and of palmable shape. This baitcasting reel is also equipped with 8 magnetic button braking system that has ten levels of brake adjustment. This maximizes the distance of the casting while minimizing any issues especially under less than perfect fishing conditions.
Performance improvement was indeed the core objective when this Royal Legend II baitcasting fishing reel was developed. The overall durability, strength and cranking smoothness of this is amazing and enjoys rave reviews by its users.
- This baitcasting reel is lighter and faster. The 5.4:1 gear is absolutely perfect for the crankbaits & the 7.2:1 gear ratio model is ideal for picking up the fishing line at 29.8” in every turn and is great for burning baits and pitching jigs.
- This baitcasting reel is certainly stronger as it is well-equipped with the main shaft which is made up of extra-hard stainless steel.
- The braking system of KastKing Royal Legend II is dynamic and is equipped with eight magnetic buttons as compared to just around six in most of the other reels.
- It takes time to learn and for most of the consumers, the learning curve is gradual.
3. KastKing Spartacus Baitcasting Reel
KastKing Spartacus Baitcasting Fishing Reel is a high performance, high-quality baitcasters which are known for its precision in making and affordable innovation. It has magnetic dual brake system, carbon fiber drags, 6.3:1 gear ratio and 11+1 stainless steel shielded the ball bearings.
The durable brass gears, instant stop anti-reverse and CNC aluminum spool offer the most promising baitcasting reel for you. This bait also provides a left-handed option for left-handed people.
The KastKing Spartacus components are corrosion resistant and have the ability to give you hours on end of the fish fighting performance. This can be suitably used both in saltwater as well as freshwater.
- The Spartacus baitcasting reel like its gladiator name has proved to have a very efficient functioning. The reason for the same is that several dynamic features are added to this which adds to its efficiency.
- This baitcasting reel is very powerful due to its very efficient micro-cast dual centrifugal & magnetic brakes. Also, the tournament-ready drag made up of carbon fiber enhances its power of fish stopping.
- The KastKing Spartacus baitcasting reel is superiorly shielded with 11+1 corrosion-resistant ball bearings, CNC machined aluminum spool for the purpose of smooth casting, hi-grade rubber cork handle knobs and powerful precision matched brass gears.
- The functioning of this one of the best baitcasting reel is phenomenal within an affordable price range.
- Wears out pretty fast, especially the brakes.
4. Lew’s Mash Crush Baitcasting Reel
Mash Crush is considered as one of the best baitcast reels that feature the exclusive Super Low Profile (SLP) and compact Speed Spool design in a durable graphite frame. The sideplates are also made up of graphite.
This product is known for its superior and high-end performance that becomes possible due to its premium 10-bearing system which is again double-shielded with stainless steel bearings and Zero Reverse anti-reverse.
The crankshaft and gear are made out of strong solid brass. The bowed aluminum handle of 95 mm features oversized Winn Dri-Tac knobs that ensure a good no-slip grip under all circumstances. The drag system is made up of rugged carbon and provides up to 20 lb. of drag power.
- The Super Low Profile (SLP) frame & side plates made of graphite makes this baitcast reel a lightweight product but yet strong.
- The Mash Crush features a double-anodized aluminum U-shaped 32-millimeter spool and is machined. This baitcasting reel is also equipped with a highly strong solid brass crankshaft and main gear which makes it a convenient speel spool fishing reel.
- The Mash Crush is equipped with a premium 10-bearing system with double-shielded stainless-steel ball bearings. There is also a zero reverse one-way clutch bearing which makes it a preferable choice.
- Casting distance is not as great as other Lew’s casts.
5. Abu Gracia Black Max Baitcasting Reel
This has been one of the most in-demand and popular baitcasters year after year amongst a large base of users. The best part of one of the best casting reels is that it provides ultimate control during fishing and is highly durable. The lightweight design is very convenient for users.
The one-piece graphite frame and side plates make it completely lightweight. There are 4 stainless steel ball bearings which make its operation completely smooth. There is a powerful disk system which adds to its efficiency.
- The super light-weight gives the user an edge while using it.
- They are available in both right- and left-hand models.
- Smooth casting is an advantage.
- This product is user-friendly for rookies.
- This model of baitcasting reel is pricier as compared to certain other brands.
6. Daiwa Tatula Baitcasting Reels
This Daiwa baitcaster is considered as one of the best baitcasting reels which comes equipped with multiple gear ratios starting from 5.4:1 and extending to the highest at 8.1:1 providing it with a super smooth cast and reel. This particular reel is very popular and is used by most professional fishermen all over the globe.
This has a max drag of 13.2 lbs and also is empowered with 8+1 ball bearing system for ultra-smooth casting which is as smooth as butter. The USP of Tatula is that it gives the user the maximum control in order to cast exactly where you require it. The T-Wing System casting has provided this reel with a leading edge over others in its class.
The 90 mm cutout handle reduce the weight on this reel and make it very light-weighted. The clutch mechanism is completely corrosion-resistant. The MagForce-z cast control is a very important feature of this product that adds to the efficient controlling of the device.
- This is absolutely light-weighted and thus easy to handle.
- There are 9 ball bearings which add to its ultra-smoothness.
- The TWS casting system gives this model an edge over the others.
- This is fairly expensive.
7. KastKing Royal Legend Baitcasting Reel
The KastKing Royal Legend Low-Profile is equipped with 7.0:1 gear ratio. This contributes to its super smoothness and makes it an efficient baitcaster. This model is cheaper as compared to other similar best baitcast reels.
The reel has 11+1 ball bearings and is super smooth reel for flipping, pitching and more. The handle comes padded with EVA foam that keeps your hands moisture free thus increasing grip.
There is a state of art dual brakes that make this baitcaster ready to go fishing. This is a completely affordable reel and this enables you to get into baitcasting like the professionals. This is definitely a great reel to opt for the beginners before they move to a more expensive and durable one as there is a dual brake system for the superior casting control.
The gear is made out of precision-cut brass and delivers 17.5 LBs of drag offer which is the ultimate choice in a low-maintenance yet high-performance baitcasting reel package.
- This is fairly lightweight at 7.7 oz.
- This product is available in multiple color options.
- Dual brake system of centrifugal and magnetic types does away with backlash
- The smooth cast makes it easy for the users.
- This product is deemed to be a perfect fit for the beginners.
- This is not as durable as some other models of reels.
- Spool tension knob is unreliable.
8. Abu Garcia Low Profile Baitcasting Reels
The Revo Winch baitcasting reel from Abu Gracia is one of the preferred all-around reels which an angle can purchase today. Being lightweight, this reel is not only easy to palm but also easy to get a grip on.
This reel comes with a low gear ration of 5.4:1 to make crank baiting easy for people preferring the freshwater or saltwater lakes. This also eases the resistance that high baits offer.
With dual brakes, the Revo Winch helps users to reel in the game with ease. The centrifula brake is found on the spool while the magnetic brake is located within the sideplate.
This is ultra-smooth on the cast as it is equipped with 8+1 stainless steel ball bearings. This particular reel is certainly a great option in case you are looking for complete versatility, reliability and performance in a new reel. To add to it all, this model of best baitcasting reels does not cost a fortune.
- This is a great tool for catfish fishing
- Available for both left-handed and right-handed people
- The 8+1 ball bearings make it ultra-smooth.
- This product is available at a great pocket-friendly price.
- The users have sometimes reported issues with the drag once used at the maximum
9. Shimano SLX Baitcasting Reels
The Shimano SLX baitcasting reels are known as the best baitcasting reels of all times. Once we peel into the boat of any experienced bass fisherman, you will find many of them use the Shimano SLX baitcasting reels. This is an absolutely incredible sleek looking baitcaster with a very stunning matte black finishing and beautiful blue accents.
As per the experts, this reel is considered to be 22% more compact than the Caenan Baitcaster which is deceptive given its strength.. There is an amazing 150 PowerPro line capacity for such a compact reel. This reel is very rigid with an incredible stiffness of the body.
This baitcasting reel is available in different options for both the right hand and left-handed models. The Regular Gear which is being used is 6.3:1, the High Gear has the ratio of 7.2:1 and the Extra High Gear’s ratio is 8.2:1.
The reel also comes equipped with 6 pin VBS adjustment that enables proper control over casting and reeling no matter how windy the weather conditions are.
- This baitcasting reel is lightweight at 7.4 ounces
- Both right as well as left hand models are available
- 30-inch crank is very convenient for the users.
- Total control over casting and reeling irrespective of weather with VBS 6 pins adjustment
- The consumers often find this product to be at a higher price point.
- Spool brake requires the removal of the cover to adjust
10. Cadence CB5 Lightweight Baitcasting Reels
When it comes to the best baitcasting reels, the Cadence CB5 provides with exceptional and unmatched performance housed in a sleek matter red or black frame.
This is surely incredible for your fishing endeavors. It is equipped with 8 corrosion-resistant bearings which contribute to its remarkably smooth operation.
The carbon fiber drag system provides a lot of power. An externally adjustable magnetic brake system would virtually eliminate the backlashes and at the same time be very quick and easy to be adjusted.
This wonderfully designed Cadence CB5 baitcasting reel is conveniently available in both right and left-hand retrieves as well as a variety of gear ratios are available.
This baitcaster can be an ideal choice for the majority of the baitcasting techniques & applications. From skipping your favorite jig to flipping and pitching and beyond, this can be used.
- This baitcasting reel has a very comfortable and ergonomic palm compact design. This features a lightweight graphite frame and sideplates. This is ergonomically designed for the purpose of smooth gear lines in order to reduce friction.
- Super Low Torque accounts for 30% more casting distance while reducing the effort to cast farther
- This best baitcasting reel is composed of actual 7 ball bearings that are double-shielded and made of stainless steel. There is also a 1 instant anti-reverse bearing.
- The Cadence CB5 baitcasting reel is readily available in a very fast 6.6 gear ratio which helps in faster retrieves and enables you to fish efficiently.
- Aluminum spool makes the reel be free from corrosion and durable
- The cost is on a higher side.
- There is no bite alert feature in this reel.
11. Abu Gracia Pro Baitcaster
Abu Gracia Pro Max Low Profile Baitcaster has a very precise engineering and a very smooth drag and thus considered as one of the best baitcasting reels. This provides performance at par with professionals which is a bait for the serious anglers.
This is a low-profile bait cast and its efficiency lies in the customization of its casting. The best part is that it is very durable and maintains its smooth operation even after several years of usage.
The special features like the Duragear which is made of brass and the one-piece graphite frame make it very ergonomic to be used.
Receiving design cues from Revo and Orra lineups, the new Pro Max reel model delivers the first-rated performance and thus makes a very smooth package. The 7+1 stainless steel bearing system also delivers a very smooth retrieve which is very much desired while fishing.
- The one-piece graphite site plates and graphite frame make it easy to hold and is very ergonomic.
- The presence of 7 ball bearings made of stainless steel + 1 roller bearing makes it extra smooth while operating.
- This is equipped with a power disk drag system.
- The high-density EVA handles makes it ergonomic.
- This is fairly easy to learn.
- This is very well-made and sturdy.
- The price is on a higher side.
12. Shimano 17 Scorpion Fishing Reel
This is one of the best baitcast reels with a 7.2:1 high gear ratio and has 5 S ARB bearings. Thus, the operation of this baitcasting reel is absolutely smooth. The ball bearing used in this baitcasting reel is corrosive-resistant and thus very durable. This is available in Left Hand (LH) version which is great news for all left-handed baitcaster folks.
- This is very lightweight and weighs 7.4 oz.
- This is most suitable for the left-handed baitcasting folks.
- This can be very smoothly casted in high wind.
- The 30-inch crank adds to the convenience of usage.
- This is expensive as compared to several other baitcasting reels.
13. Pflueger President XT Fishing Reel
This is considered as one of the best rated baitcasting reels that has low profile baitcast reels. No detail was at all ignored during the process of developing this product. The C45 side plates really make this particular reel absolutely light-weighted, tight, comfortable in hand, and all the more durable.
The 9 bearings which are made up of corrosion-resistant stainless steel are present in this baitcasting reel. This makes its operation absolutely smooth. This baitcasting reel is equipped with a magnetic braking system that is externally adjustable and has brake controls spool rotation & backlash.
- The aluminum handle is made up of aircraft-grade aluminum and has extreme durability.
- The soft-touch knob helps in gaining an excellent grip.
- The 9-bearing system is made up of corrosion-resistant stainless steel ball bearings.
- This is extremely light-weighted which eases its operation to a large extent.
- Left hand models are not available
- The drag, while smooth, is weak.
14. KastKing Royal Legend Fishing Reel
The KastKing Royal Legend is conventional round baitcaster reels which offer all the crucial tools for fishermen who like to aim for bigger and heavier game.
Whether you are aiming to catch a giant catfish or walleye or crap or trolling offshore fishing for the giant saltwater fishes, this best saltwater spinning reel is a perfect weapon for conquering the beasts deep out there.
This is the perfect round baitcasting reel for bottom fishing, trolling and several other techniques which are used in both saltwater offshore as well as freshwater fishing.
- This baitcaster is equipped with superior carbon fiber drag system which enables this device to deliver optimum power and performance.
- This is one of the best saltwater baitcasting reels and is very durable due to its metal body. The stainless-steel components which are used in this device corrosion-resistant even in the harsh saltwater.
- Spool speed adjustment tends to get stuck.
15. SOOLF Baitcasting Fishing Reel
This is one of the best saltwater baitcasting reels and is equally useful in freshwater fishing as well. This is a very durable and light-weighted one-piece aluminum alloy/graphite body. This is completely climate-resistant and anti-corrosion as well.
Thus, this baitcasting reel can be fearlessly be used in all seasons. This device is equipped with powerful 3 set drag washers which deliver physically carbon fiber drag that can reel in up to 17.5 lbs. of big fish without tiring out.
A 7.0:1 gear is used in this device for optimally faster fishing tactics and realizes the super silent & quick retrieve. The magnetic brake ensures not only lower friction but also helps in casting with precision. All these contribute to fishing efficiently.
- This baitcasting reel has a light-weighted one-piece graphite body/aluminum alloy which is anti-corrosion and climate-resistant.
- This low profile baitcaster features 7.0:1 gear ratio that facilitates faster fishing.
- This is super silent and has a quick retrieve that helps in fishing much more efficiently.
- The magnetic brake system very well ensures that there is lowest friction, smooth casting and a precise throwing.
- The EVA handle and reinforced brass gears helps get a stronger grip.
- This is not very suitable for fishing very heavy fishes.
Factors To Look For When Buying Best Baitcasting Reels
When you are planning to buy the best baitcasting reels, it is better to go through the details of nitty-gritty for making the best purchasing decision. This is not at all complicated and you should thoroughly check the specs before making the buying decision finally. Here are some key factors to look for so that you can make an informed choice.
1. Size Of The Spool
A deeper or bigger spool is very beneficial if you prefer to fish the stiff heavy line like a 20 lb fluorocarbon. The larger the spool, it creates smaller coils of line which are easier to manage. The smaller and shallow spools are indeed the best for short line applications like pitching and flipping.
Also the material that makes up the spool should be taken in consideration too. While aluminum is used by major brands, they also tend to be on the higher end of the price scale. Look for spools that have holes for the holes makes these spools lighter in weight and easy to spin or stop.
2. Gear Ratio
The gear ratio is one of the crucial factors that you should look for as this tells you how many times the spool turns in one revolution of the handle. This is to be noted that the higher the gear ratio, the more line that is retrieved per handle of the handle. The most common gear ratios of the top baitcasting reels are 7.1:1, 6.4:1 and 5.3:1.
The 6.4:1 gear ratio is certainly an all-rounder and is undoubtedly an excellent choice. You can use any kind of fishing technique and bait like jigs, worms, shallow cranking, and topwater and have an excellent performance.
The lower gear ratios like 5.3:1 and 5.2:1 is great for the purpose of fishing baits which pull hard like big swimbaits & slow rolling heavy spinnerbaits. The lower gear ratio helps you to reel the bait slower and enable you to keep it in the strike zone longer.
You can also enjoy a higher torque output on these reels and make them a nice choice for moving and flipping out of cover. On the other hand, the higher gear speed ratios are critical if you need to rope in the game fast without losing speed to friction.
3. Size Of The Handle
The low-profile bass fishing reels does have various handle sizes. The kind of handle you require will be based on the game you plan to go after. Some of the most compact reels have shorter handles which are suitable for several applications like fishing a jig or a worm.
However, they are not suitable for handling the swimbaits or crankbaits. A longer and larger handle specifically creates greater torque for winching the fish out of the heavy covers while punching grass mats.
4. Tensions And Brake System
The tension knob is responsible for controlling the line at the very beginning of your cast whereas the brake system controls the line at the end of your cast.
The brakes help on casting optimally even under windy conditions. A good braking and tension system is very critical for making long casts with a wide variety of lure weights and these experience minimal backlashes.
5. Materials And Bearings
You should look for quality stainless-steel or ceramic ball bearings while choosing the best baitcasting reels. This is obvious that the greater number of bearings that a reel has, the smoother it will be able to cast & retrieve.
You should ideally look for reels which are absolutely light-weighted and utilize the strongest materials like magnesium, aluminum or carbon composite materials. These will deliver the best performance & durability.
FAQs on Baitcasting Reels
1. Which Gear Ratio Is Most Suitable For Me?
The higher gear ratios indicate that it has a faster line retrieve. This is indeed ideal for search baits like French spinners, spinnerbaits, buzz baits and those which have long steady retrieves. This is specifically useful if you use it for fishing in the shallow water where you have to keep the bait up towards the top.
The lower gear ratio pulls the line comparatively slower. This is indeed ideal for fishing the big fishes or using baits which require more time to sink. The type of fish you plan to catch will help you decide the kind of ear speed ration you need.
2. What Do You Mean By A Low-Profile Variant Of Baitcasting Reel?
Most of the baitcasting reels are usually low profile. These particular reels sit close to the rod and they are usually small and lightweight.
3. How Would I Adjust The Drag?
Almost all the baitcasting reels have the robust mechanism of adjusting the “resistance” or drag on the spool. This specially controls the amount of force which is required for pulling the line off the reel.
The drag system is available in several varieties like the star drags or a simple drag knob is also commonly used. By opting to decrease the drag, the line will come off the spool quickly while being pulled by a fish.
4. What Makes A Baitcasting Reel A Great Choice When It Comes To Freshwater Fishing?
There would be several baitcasters who consider a baitcasting reel to be the most suitable for freshwater fishing. The most obvious reasons are as follows:
1. The baitcasting line is being spooled in the same direction as the line guides. This considerably decreases the friction and considerably increases the cast distance. This reduces the line memory.
2. Thumb pressure is preferably used to control the cast distance.
3. The brakes can be very well used for precisely controlling the free-spool friction for maximum cast distance.
5. Is The Gear Ratio A Significant Factor In A Baitcasting Reel?
Yes, the gear ratio is a significant factor and you should choose this depending on the kind of fishing you want to engage in. The higher gear ratios mean faster line retrieve and are helpful for spinnerbaits etc. The lower gear ratios are ideal for fishing big fishes. The commonest gear ratios in the baitcasting reels are 7.1:1, 6.4:1 and 5.3:1.
The Best Baitcasting Reels Is Certainly Important
The best baitcasting reels are certainly very important as they provide the baitcasters with the greatest efficiency, control and accuracy over the traditional spinning reels. These baitcasting reels also have a few drawbacks. So, there are several experienced anglers who prefer accuracy and tunability over the other reels.
You should make sure that you choose the best baitcasting reel as per your usage. Whether you opt to choose a compact one or a full-size reel, you should ideally consider where you are intending to fish and what kind of fish you are targeting.