|1. Ugly Stik Strong GX2||2. Wild Water Starter||3. Plussinno Carbon Fiber|
Given an opportunity to select their favorite relaxing activity, some people would opt for fishing as it is one of the best relaxing while still full of fun, activities on earth.
The thrill of casting a bait across streams and rivers and then reeling your catch in, matches no other experience, especially when the experience is shared with your family and friends.
While being able to catch a good sized fish, requires some degree of skill, luck, fishing gears and anglers could get a better advantage by using the best fishing rod, when they are out fishing, since being well equipped is half the battle won when it comes to every sport, including fishing.
However just any fishing rod won’t do and one needs to select one that is comfortable to hold and has a very sensitive tip along with well-aligned guides, that don’t allow your line to tangle.
Top 20 Best Fishing Rods 2020
1. Ugly Stik Strong GX2
Style meets substance in this beautifully designed fully functional road for fishing. With more than 150 positive ratings this is one of the most popular fishing rods on Amazon that has been highly appreciated for its stylish looks, form, and function.
This fishing road has been crafted using both graphite and fiberglass, for a strong and balanced fishing rod that is also very sensitive to use. What makes this rod perfect for anglers no matter whether they are beginner or professional is its lightweight body and stylish modern looks, that will be the center of attraction on your fishing trips.
This fishing rod has been designed based on the styling of the iconic Ugly Stik fishing rod that was known for its dependable performance. It has a clear tip design that responds even to the lightest nibbles and strikes while offering you the thrilling feeling of fighting your catch as you hold the durable and lightweight EVA grips, which give you a sturdy handhold.
This fishing rod also sports the best-in-its-class, one-piece stainless steel guides, that eliminates the need to insert pop-outs. This Ugly Stik fishing rod has a 7” medium power spinning rod for a powerful performance while reeling in your catch.
A unique and beautifully designed two-piece rod it comes with a unique 7-year warranty, which makes it the best fishing rod warranty available in the market.
- Suitable for all types of fishing enthusiasts
- Can be used with all types of lines, including braids
- EVA grip makes holding the rod firmer and easier no matter how big the catch is
- Iconic, eye-catching design
- Versatile fishing rod, can even be paired with braid line
- Handle seems to be too long for some, especially when fishing for bass
2. Wild Water Fly Fishing Rod Starter
When it comes to fishing, only the best fishing rod brands will do to reel them in. Beginner’s and professionals looking for a complete fishing rod starter kit which is very simple but sturdy to use can opt for this amazing kit manufactured by Wild Water, that has more than 600 positive ratings and the coveted “Amazon’s Choice” product tag.
The 5/6 weight fly rod is a 9’, rod in 4 pieces of 28” that has been crafted from IM8 graphite for sturdiness and strength. It has a machined aluminum reel seat with double lock rings and laser etched butt cap, which is 7” long.
The Western style cork handle offers a good grip while reeling in the fish, while the compressed cork accent rings, stainless steel stripper guide, silicon carbide rings, and stainless single foot guides with a tip-top make your fishing experience smooth and comfortable.
This unique and well-designed starter kit comes in its own 32″ hard tube strong case that will easily hold your rod, reel, fly box, and fishing accessories whenever you want to go fishing or looking for a comfortable fishing experience on your outdoor trips.
It also has a very handy carry strap, side pouch with zipper for additional storage, and hang ring. The custom designed fly box and standard flies complement the entire kit.
- Ideal for fishing trout, panfish, small bass at small streams and ponds
- Designed and crafted for fly fishing lovers
- Fly reel comes with adjustable disc drag
- Portable kit, suitable for backpacking enthusiasts
- Has spare accessories
- Could have more flies in the kit
3. Plussinno Carbon Fiber Fishing Rod
Gift your father, son, husband, or friend a fishing rod that he will always appreciate and love to use if he is a fishing enthusiast. The fishing rod crafted by Plusinno is a sleekly designed 5.91′ rod that comes with an interchangeable reel so that it can be used by both left and right handed people.
The high density 24-ton carbon rod has been reinforced with a fiberglass composite which makes it both sturdy and flexible to use on your fishing trips while being highly durable at the same time. The corrosion resistant reel seat is made of CNC machined aluminum making it both strong and durable for long term usage.
The CNC machine cut fishing reel also has a collapsible handle, which you can easily interchange making it the best rod for a fishing reel. The entire kit is lightweight and easily portable, so you can conveniently carry it in your car trunk, boat, or backpack while going on a fishing trip.
What makes this fish rod a great performer is its 12 + 1 ball bearing reel which is lightweight, ultra-smooth, and powerful to use, making your fishing experience both pleasurable and comfortable.
- Sleek design that is easy to hold
- Free carrier bag for easy transportation
- Great for both freshwater and saltwater fishing
- Collapsible handle for adjusting the reel as per the target fish weight
- Good fishing rod for beginners due to its simple to use controls
- Addition of fishing accessories would complete the kit
- Some find the make of the rod to be of poor quality
4. Ugly Stik Catfish Casting Fishing Rod
Designed by those who love to fish for catfish, this sleekly designed rod is one of the best freshwater fishing poles available on Amazon where it has received more than 50 positive ratings. What makes this rod really special is its indigenously designed and proprietary Ugly Stik clear trip which has the highest and best sensitivity.
This fishing rod has been designed for toughness and durability as per Ugly Stik’s high quality standards, which it ensures in all the rods it produces. It also features the Ugly Tuff one piece stainless steel guides, which are well appreciated for their performance all over.
Ugly Stik fishing rods are designed for both professionals and beginners with the single aim of making the entire fishing experience a pleasurable one with their simplicity and ease of use.
This fishing rod has very comfortable EVA grips that have been crafted and reinforced with rubber gimbal making the rod not only lightweight but also have a firm grip to reel in a big catch.
This medium power catfish rod is 7′ in length and comes with a single reel seat, 8 guides, and a line rating of 15 30 lbs., with its stainless steel rod action being classified as medium fast.
- Iconic Ugly Stik design
- Highly sensitive clear tip
- Flexible and sturdy rod
- Medium heavy, design for strength and sturdiness
- Fishing accessories not included
5. Sougayilang Telescopic Fishing Pole
A complete fishing kit, it is an ideal gift for both beginners and professionals who love fishing. Carry it on your fishing trips easily with the beautiful and sleek looking fishing gear carrier bag that comes along with this kit. If you are looking for best fishing rod and reel combo for freshwater and saltwater, then look no further than this fishing kit.
The specially designed and crafted telescopic fishing rod in this kit has been made from exceptionally strong carbon fiber, which has been mixed with fiberglass for both flexibility and strength while being durable at the same time.
The guide rings have been made from high quality colorful piano porcelain which while being beautiful to look at is also anti-corrosive. The epoxy resin adhesive is not only internationally acclaimed but also makes the guide ring stay solid on the rod.
This fishing rod is ideal for beginners and professionals due to its hollow frame design CNC aluminum spool which has been designed by a computer for perfect balance and performance. It is also lightweight enough to hold for long hours, comfortably and with ease on your fishing trips.
The uniquely designed reel has 13 + 1 corrosion resistant smooth ball bearings, precision matched gears, and a powerful 5.5:1 gear ratio for ultra-smooth performance.
The CNC machined aluminum handle is easily interchangeable for right or left hand operation, which is a very good feature to have along with the exquisite Aluminum spool. The EVA knob has been designed to be non-slip and comfortable to use while fishing, so that you can easily reel the fish in.
- Portable, lightweight to use and carry along
- Designer foam carry bag to take it along with you stylishly, wherever you go
- Ideal for beginners
- Can be used interchangeably by left handed or right handed people
- Complete fishing kit including braided line
- Needs more fishing lures
6. Plusinno Telescopic Fishing Rod
With more than 1,000 positive ratings and the #1 Best Seller tag on Amazon, this is one of the best fishing rods recommended by many customers who have purchased and used it. Suitable for both saltwater and freshwater fishing, the rod in this fishing kit has been made from high density carbon that has been mixed with fiberglass for both flexibility and durability.
You can use this rod safely and comfortably even on your seawater fishing trips as its stainless steel hooded reel seat makes the fishing rod corrosion free from seawater. It has a fore grip that has been made from EVA for a comfortable hold and durability, even when spending long hours fishing. The entire rod has been designed to be easy to use within minutes.
Fishing enthusiasts will love the telescopic feature of the fishing rod, which makes it highly portable and easy to carry along on your fishing trips, no matter where you go.
A medium power rod, it instantly reverses thanks to the high strength power driven gears it sports. The aluminum spool has been designed with a double color and a single line hole, which makes it perfect for fishing.
- Sensitive fishing rod pole
- Right / Left interchangeable handle
- Easily collapsible telescopic rod
- Fishing accessories should have been included in the kit
7. KastKing Graphite Fishing Rod
Anglers looking for the best fishing rods can consider this highly beautiful and sleek fishing rod and spinning wheel combo by KastKing that has been designed to meet the needs of all anglers, who want a professional quality rod for freshwater fishing.
With more than 400 positive ratings, this is one of the well appreciated fishing kit combos available on Amazon. The combos feature a sensitive and light-weight Toray IM6 Graphite blank designed to provide great value whenever you go fishing.
The fishing rods come in a comfortable and portable 2 pc design and come in lengths from 6′ for Bass, Trout, and Panfish fishing, while those looking for Catfish, Steelhead, and even Salmon fishing can try the 8′ kits. All the rods have strong and durable stainless-steel guides along with premium O-ring inserts that are designed for both mono and braided lines.
The lightweight stainless frames are sleekly designed and are lightweight for a perfectly balanced rod blank. The contoured EVA handles and fighting butt, make the rods comfortable to hold in your hand all day long while providing a superior grip and balance.
Each combo includes a perfectly matched KastKing Centron spinning reel that has been designed to match the rod and the type of fishing you intend to use it for.
- 9+1 Maxi-Dur ball bearings for smooth performance while extending or reeling the line in
- Anti-twist line roller
- Triple disc felt drag system for a smooth reeling experience
- Could include other fishing accessories
8. KastKing Blackhawk II Graphite
The Blackhawk II too lives up to the KastKing standards with its admirable looks while being high on performance, which has got it more than 700 reviews on Amazon and the highly coveted “Amazon’s Choice” tag. This tag also highlights the affordability of the fishing rod making it the ideal fishing companion.
The rod itself is built of KastKing KastFlex Toray 24-Ton Carbon Matrix blank and a solid glass tip section to deliver unparalleled durability, sensitivity, and performance whenever you use it. It is a telescopic design with 6 sections that help extend the rod from 7′ to 8′ as per the model. To help you cast the lines more efficiently, it has multiple floating line guides.
The Snug-Fit ferrules have full-length power transition which gives the rods a feeling and performance similar to 1 pc rods, while at the same time collapsing easily when needed to make it convenient to carry along. Unlike similar 1 or 2 pc rods, you can leave the reel on the rod and also the line fully rigged for easy and fast access whenever you go fishing.
All the guides have been made of stainless steel, while the reel sets are made of graphite. The EVA handles are sturdy and comfortable to hold for long durations.
- Easy to extend and collapse, making it ideal for beginners
- Premium quality materials used in its construction
- Highly flexible and extendable telescopic design
- Does not have all fishing accessories
- Warranty does not cover much in terms of replacement
9. Okuma Graphite Celilo Trout Rods
This is one of the best fishing equipment that has been designed keeping trout fishing in mind, based on the inputs from some of the best fishermen, who fish in the Northwest Rivers. The attention to detail and high quality components used in making these rods have got it more than 400 positive reviews on Amazon.
This Okuma rod has been crafted with sensitive graphite blanks and has long lasting aluminum oxide guide inserts for your convenience while fishing. The hooded reel seats are made from stainless steel for strength and durability, which is very important if one has just started fishing as a hobby.
What also makes this fishing rod a pleasure to handle and use is its high quality graded fore and rear grips which have been made from cork. The ease of use, sensitivity, and flexibility of the rod makes it a perfect accompaniment for your outdoor fishing trips while spending time with your family.
- Designed for trout fishing
- Highly sensitive tip
- Cork grip for firmer hold when reeling in the game
- Single rod, cannot be extended or collapsed
10. Berrypro Portable Graphite Fishing Rod
Anglers and fishing lovers who look for a bit of fishing on their trips can now easily plan for the same, with this sleek and well-designed 3 pc portable fishing rod by Berrypro. Crafted with carbon fiber, it is one of the strongest and sturdiest rods you can buy, which is suitable for both heavy spinning and boat fishing.
Adding to its utility and good looks are its high quality ceramic guide sets, which have been evenly spaced throughout the rod for the best casting performance and almost friction-free line flow. What also makes this rod perfectly suitable and a great accompaniment on your fishing trips is its high sensitivity tip that will help you easily bait the best catch of the day.
The corrosion free structure and craftsmanship of this rod along with stainless steel reel seats and hoods ensures that you can even take it along for saltwater fishing. The graphite construction help increase the pulling power of this rod, while the highly durable EVA handles are perfect to hold even for long periods.
- Easily portable due to unique 3 pc design
- Sleek looks and durable
- Includes a carrying bag
- Fishing accessories need to be bought separately
11. Daiwa D-Wave Spinning Combo Rod
Anglers looking for a fishing rod they can use without fear of corrosion can try this sleek looking rod by Daiwa that has been specifically designed for saltwater use and those looking at fishing for stripers, snook, and even baby tarpons.
This rod has been well appreciated by customers and has received more than 150 positive ratings on Amazon. This unique and well-crafted rod is also suitable for heavy freshwater usage.
It sports a full graphite blank construction which makes it both strong and sensitive for your fishing trips. To prevent corrosion, the guides have been made from aluminum oxide while the reel sets are made from stainless steel.
This rod also comes with a gyro spin balanced rotor and smooth ball bearing drive for an ultra-smooth and comfortable experience while releasing the line or reeling it in.
The easily portable 2 pc fishing rod has been created with fiberglass and has EVA foam grips for handling comfort, when you need to hold the fishing rod for extended periods of time.
- ABS aluminum spool that prevents the line from twisting and unwinding
- Quick to assemble 2 pc design
- Sensitive and flexible graphite body
- Not compact as compared to similar telescopic models.
12. Okuma Voyager Spinning Travel Kit
If you are looking for a complete but compact fishing kit that you can easily carry along with you, then this amazing and well-designed kit by Okuma is the answer. It has received more than 500 positive ratings and the “Amazon’s Choice” tag for both its utility as well as portability.
It’s a perfect companion for those who love to halt on their journeys for a bit of fishing, whenever they see a river or stream. This well-crafted spinning reel of this amazing kit features a ball bearing drive system that has been placed inside a corrosion resistant graphite frame, which makes it ideal even for saltwater fishing.
The reel is easily interchangeable for the convenience of both left and right handers. This 6-foot extendable rod has been broken down into 5 pcs so that it can easily be packed in the attractive padded and travel and storage case that comes along with it.
The blank has very comfortable cork grips that have been paired with the stainless steel hooded reel set and highly durable and attractive ceramic guide inserts for the perfect fishing experience.
- Includes a tackle box to carry all the fishing essentials
- Easy to assemble and pack after your fishing trip
- The travel case has a zip closure and carry handle for your convenience
- Fishing lures not included
13. St. Croix Graphite Spinning Rod
With the best in its class 5 year warranty, this Split Grip Spinning rod by St. Croix is definitely worth consideration, by anglers who are looking for a high quality and good performance rod, without incurring high costs for the same. It has been crafted with mod-modulus graphite fiber that has a higher strain rate, as compared to other models which makes it perfect for your fishing trips.
This spinning rod is also lightweight, durable, and very sensitive making it an ideal choice for beginners, who want to try their luck at fishing. The split grip cork handle made of premium grade material is a great feature and ensures that they will have a strong and sturdy grip on the handle while reeling the fish in.
It has been crafted with hard aluminum oxide guides that are corrosion resistant and suitable for saltwater fishing. The Fuji DPS reel seat is a great value addition along with the Kigan hook keeper and sleek looking black frames.
Adding to its stylish looks are the two coats of Flex-Coat slow cure finish. Try this model if you are looking for the best fishing rods to upgrade your fishing skills.
- Lightweight design makes it easy to handle
- The split grip handle is easy to hold for beginners
- Sleek and elegant design
- Corrosion resistant finish
- Not retractable
14. Shaddock Fishing Portable Bass Rods
Enjoy your fishing experience with this sleek and well-crafted rod, which is one of the best fishing rods for beginners and professional anglers. This spinning/casting rod has been crafted using premium grade high quality materials like carbon fiber and has a straight or gun design handle that will ensure you have a tight non-slip grip while holding it, even if you sweat thanks to its sweat absorption properties.
The 33-ton carbon blank guide rings perfectly complement the 4-section rod design. The handle and reel seat has been crafted using EVA which is one of the toughest yet breathable materials and usually used in high-end fishing rods. All the components have been perfectly designed and aligned to give you a comfortable balance and weight while providing you with the power and flexibility you need to reel them in.
It has been designed for extensive outdoor and seawater use, as the rod has been crafted using carbon fiber cloth, while the body has reinforced materials that are corrosion resistant to seawater, acid, alkali, etc. The well designed and placed ceramic guides prevent the fishing lines from fraying and enhance their life while giving you a smooth throwing experience.
- 4 pc design makes it easy to carry wherever you go
- You can leave the line in the reel for a faster and easier fishing experience
- EVA handle comes with another layer of nylon to increase stability
- Comes with a specially designed rod protection tube, that you can easily carry
- Fishing accessories need to be bought separately
15. Daiwa Ultra Light Spinning Rod
Beginners and professional fishing enthusiasts will love this ultra-light spinning rod that can easily extend up to 6’ for a great fishing experience. What makes it one of the best fishing rods, however, is the sleek and well-crafted design that gives it the rare combination of high casting power even with light lures.
It also has a shock absorbing action, for better grip and comfort when you need to handle a strong fish on the other end, even while using ultra-fine lines. This spinning rod has been built with micro pitch blank taping during the curing process itself so that the resin and graphite are evenly distributed for maximum power and sensitivity.
The 4 pc spinning rod by Daiwa sports a Minima Reel Seat with machined clamp nut and a woven graphite insert. An “Amazon’s Choice” product for the power and features it offers to make your fishing experience comfortable.
- 4 pcs design makes it easy to assemble and breakdown for storage
- Flexible and sturdy design
- Superior grip for added pulling power
- Not a telescopic design
- Can snap easily
16. Zebco 5’6” Spincast Combo Tackle Kit
Be ready for your next fishing expedition with the Zebco 202 Spin Cast Combo Kit that is one of the most popular products from Zebco. The unique and sleek design of this fishing rod is complemented by a durable all metal gears and a stainless steel pickup pin.
What makes it incredibly useful on your fishing trips is the fact that it has been pre-spooled with a 10-pound line being one of the best fishing pole for beginners. The Zebco also has an indigenously designed and patented no tangle design which makes this rod great even for beginners.
It also has a quick-set anti-reverse with a dial-adjustable drag for a smooth retrieve every time, you cast your line. The in-built hook keeper is also a great addition to this beautiful and amazing to use fishing rod, which has a twist-lock reel seat and a very comfortable to hold EVA handle.
This fishing rod comes as a complete kit which includes a 44-piece tackle kit: 2 bobbers, 18 hooks, 5 swivels, 3 split-shot sinkers, 1 spinner attachment, 3 jig heads, 4 swim baits, and 8 curly-tail jigs.
- Complete fishing kit for beginners and professionals
- 2 pc design makes easily portable
- Corrosion proof design
- Comes with a year warranty on manufacturing defects and material defects.
- Not a telescopic handle design
- Left handers will find this design somewhat problematic
17. St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rods
From one of the pioneers of quality fishing equipment comes a fishing rod that will make you fall in love with fishing all again. The #1 Bestseller in fly fishing rods, this Triumph spinning rod by St. Croix has received more than 150 positive ratings on Amazon for its sleek looks, functionality, and durability.
It’s one of the best fishing rods for anglers, who are looking for a great fishing rod within their budget. This fishing rod also has a very premium look and feel, thanks to the mid-modulus graphite fiber used in its construction, which also has a much higher strain rate as compared to other fibers. The graphite fiber used in this rod is also lightweight while being sturdy, durable, and sensitive at the same time.
For those looking for a handle that is comfortable to hold for long hours, the high-quality cork handle is a great value addition that gives you a very superior grip. It also features a Fuji DPS reel set with a frosted silver hood, which is among the best in its class. The hard aluminum oxide guides with black frames, complement the fishing rod perfectly.
- 5-year warranty, backed by St Croix’s excellent service
- Cork handle gives a very relaxed and natural grip
- Suitable for all anglers
- Sensitive and durable fishing rod
- One pc design makes it not easily portable
18. KastKing Brutus Casting and Spinning Fishing Rods
For those who are looking for a fishing experience that is on par with those experienced by professional anglers, the Brutus spinning and casting rod by KastKing is a great fishing rod that they could consider. The toughness and durability of these rods is what makes them perfect for all fishing conditions, along with the high performance of these rods.
The Brute Tuff composite blanks have been built for extreme conditions and are great when trying to pull in a bigger fish. For those looking at fishing during late evenings and low light conditions, the chartreuse “Strike Tip” is a great value addition as it helps in early strike detection.
KastKing is well known for using only stainless-steel running guide frames which are corrosion resistant URS stainless steel rings with high durability and performance. The tip top guides too are of high quality and made from zirconium oxide rings, which makes them perfect for fluorocarbon, monofilament, or braided fishing lines.
The durable, graphite reel seats will keep reels firmly in place even under heavy pressure. These fishing rods also sport the best-in-their-class EVA handles which are well acknowledged by professionals for their durability and superior, comfortable grip, even when you hold them for many hours together.
- The specially designed handle does not get cold or crack with temperature fluctuations
- EVA fore grip for better strength while handling bigger fish
- Professional quality equipment, suitable for fishing even in extreme conditions
- Fishing accessories not included
19. Berkeley Spinning Rod
What makes this Lightning spinning rod one of its most popular models is the 24-ton multi-modulus carbon composite blank construction which has been perfectly matched with stainless steel guides with aluminum oxide inserts. This makes the spinning rod ideal for any type of fishing and can be operated easily by anyone.
Crafted with aluminum oxide, these inserts are corrosion proof making them ideal even for saltwater fishing trips. The double up-locking reel seat is great and offers perfect performance when reeling the big ones.
What also makes this rod exceptional are the rubberized cork wrapped full handles which are very comfortable to grip and hold for extended hours. Given the high quality materials and finish of this spinning rod form the house of Berkley, it is no wonder that it has received more than 100 positive reviews on Amazon.
- Highly durable and sturdy construction
- Superior grip handles with rubberized cork coating
- Easy and simple to use, makes it ideal even for beginners
- Not easily portable as it’s a 2 pc design
- No fishing accessories included
20. Ugly Stik Shakespeare Spinning Rod
From one of the most iconic brands in fishing accessories, comes a rod that will surely delight your senses, while offering you a great fishing experience. Ugly Stik has set many benchmarks when it comes to the construction and durability of fishing rods, along with its simplistic but functionally designed fishing rods.
The Shakespeare spinning rod meets the high quality standards of Ugly Stik products and is perfect for big water fishing.
Designed to be durable and tough in all conditions, this rod has a blank construction that has been made using a combination of graphite and fiberglass. The highly sensitive clear tip design offers great responsiveness and strength, while the lightweight EVA grips make every fishing trip comfortable.
A simple 1 pc stainless steel guide eliminates the use of insert pop-outs and gives the spinning rod a very sleek look. This spinning rod by Ugly Stik has received more than 70 positive reviews on Amazon, from customers who have bought and tried the product.
- Maximum corrosion resistance to saltwater
- Tip design offers exceptional sensitivity
- Balanced, tough and durable design
- Does not include a complete fishing kit
Factors To Look For When Buying Best Fishing Rod
For some people, fishing is much more than a sport, since they look upon it as an opportunity to bond with their family and have a great outdoor time, while for others it may be a chance to show off their fishing skills while catching some of the biggest fish around.
Whatever the reasons for fishing, what makes the whole experience pleasurable, challenging and fun is having the right gear and accessories when one goes fishing. From tackles and baits and to the best fishing rods, everything needs to work together in complete harmony for a successful fishing trip and a highly appreciated catch.
One of the key elements for a satisfying fishing experience is the fishing rod you use, due to the role it plays in the entire experience. One needs to be comfortable in holding and using the fishing rod, while fishing since you may need to hold it for many hours sometimes, without even a single catch. As such, holding the rod for such long durations can be very uncomfortable and even painful.
Apart from the comfort factor, it should also be easy to use and help you reel in your catch fast, before it slips away. Getting a good catch is a test of your patience and luck, along with your fishing skills, so ensuring you have the best fishing rod with you will help you better your skills and make the entire experience worthwhile.
However, selecting a good fishing rod is not easy and needs careful consideration of many factors before one buys one and starts fishing. Some of the factors that we suggest you look out for while buying the best fishing rod are.
1. The Different Types Of Fishing Rods
Some of the key questions you need to ask yourself before you buy a fishing rod are the type of fish you are planning to catch, where you will be fishing and how often you plan on going fishing since these questions influence the choice of which rod would be best suitable for you. Not all fishing rods are the same and are specifically designed based on the user’s preferences and their fishing plans.
Most of the fishing rods can be classified into different categories based on the construction and where they can be used. To assist you in your buying decision, here are some of the different categories that you need to be aware of:
- Spinning Rods: These fishing rods are usually recommended for beginners due to the simplicity and ease with which you can use them, even on your first fishing trip. In spinning rods, the reel is located beneath the rod, with the handle located on the non-dominant hand side for easy access and use.
So if you are a right handed person the reel handle will be on the left side and vice versa. This is to ensure that you have a tough grip on the handle with your dominant hand while reeling in the fish easily with your other hand.
The lines don’t get tangled easily in spinning rods, making them more comfortable and easy to use and get a faster grasp of the different fishing techniques. Adequate care needs to be taken while using these rods, since the eyelets/guides which are large in size and face downwards may tend to break when you pull your line too fast.
- Casting Rods: In these fishing rods, the bait casting reel is designed on the top of the rods. The eyelets in these rods are smaller when compared to spinning rods and are mounted facing upwards, which ensures that when the line is pulled down, the force is on the rod and not the eyelets.
The casting rods usually have a trigger shaped grip on the handle which is very comfortable and easy to hold. Casting rods are preferred by experienced fishermen since it gives them a better distance and smoother experience while casting. Newcomers may take time to get used to them, as the lines tend to get tangled if not cast properly.
- Sea Fishing Rods: As the name suggests, these rods are specially designed for those who love fishing in the sea. Their length may vary depending on where you are planning to use them, with short length ones being suitable for boats, while the longer ones being suitable to be used from the shore.
Given the possibility of catching bigger and heavier fish in the sea, these fishing rods are more of a heavy design and thick design with a long butt, strong eyelets, and heavy tips.
- Surf Rods: A variation of sea fishing rods, these rods are designed more for using them close to the shore. Longer in size as compared to sea fishing rods, these rods are designed for casting your line over long distances past the surf (hence the name).
These rods typically have a longer butt that you can hold using both your hands so that you can easily cast your line over long distances.
- Fly Rods: Fly fishing is one of the most popular fishing activities, thanks to these well designed and sleek looking rods that offer users a very comfortable fishing experience. These rods are usually thin and designed to be flexible. Fly rods have well designed eyelets, which prevent the lines from tangling while at the same time offering a better casting experience.
- Ice Fishing Rods: For those who love their winters and don’t want to miss out on their fishing experiences, there is a wide range of fishing rods available that have been specially designed for ice fishing. These rods are usually very short in length i.e. around 24 to 36 inches due to the limited space available near ice fishing ponds.
They are not designed like normal fishing rods and even have lesser eyelets since the line is not cast over long distances, but more of dropped down the ice hole. The line is usually wound by hand in these rods.
- Telescopic Rods: If you love traveling and are always looking for an opportunity to go fishing on your trips, then these are the best fishing rods for you. Designed to be compact in size with their length being 1-2 ft. when folded, these rods can extend up to 20 ft. if required.
Due to the long length of these rods, they are also very popular for surf fishing. Most of these rods are available in well designed and easily packable kits/ which can hold your other fishing accessories so that you can get a bit of fishing done on your travels.
2. Fishing Rod Material
Given the wide range of applications that fishing rods can be used for, it makes sense to select one that is made of the best material suitable for the type of fishing you have in mind.
Strength, durability, and flexibility of the material are some of the points that one needs to compare when selecting the material the fishing rod is made from. When looking for the best fishing rods, the different types of materials you will find are.
- Graphite: While graphite is one of the most expensive materials when it comes to fishing rods, they are worth the extra cost due to their fast action and durability while being very light to handle at the same time. Fishing rods made with graphite are very sensitive and will help you feel the slightest nibble while fishing. Adequate care needs to be taken of graphite rods, as they are sometimes prone to breakage.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass is a heavier material as compared to bamboo and graphite, which makes it ideal for those looking at baiting heavier fish. Fiberglass fishing rods are also less expensive which makes them ideal for beginners. Their flexibility and strength are a great advantage when one is looking for a great fishing experience with very little maintenance.
- Graphite-Fiber Glass Combination: These are the ideal fishing rods for those looking at enjoying the advantages of both graphite and fiberglass rods. Fishing rods made using both these materials have better sensitivity and are also very flexible to use. These rods are also highly durable which makes them ideal for both beginners and professionals.
3. Length Of The Fishing Rod
One of the most important questions to consider, since it is based more on where you are planning to use the rod, and how comfortable you will be in using a long fishing rod. Those looking at fly or river fishing could consider medium sized rods, while those looking at surf fishing should go in for longer rods. Shorter rods are recommended for people who plan on fishing from a boat.
Over some time and experience, you will be available to decide the length of the rod perfect for you and one that you are comfortable holding for long periods. But remember that the longer the rod length, the more space you will need in order to cast successfully and you also have to practice your timings if you do not want to miss the window for catching the game.
4. Your Budget
As with all sporting gears and accessories, there are many high end and budget models available in fishing rods, with different specifications and features. If you are a beginner we suggest you go with a low cost fishing rod, until you get a hang of the entire fishing experience and are sure of the type of fishing you want to do and where you will be doing it.
Your fishing rod budget also depends on the type of fish you want to catch and how often you plan to go fishing. If you plan to go fishing on your holidays and business travels then you can also consider the possibility of buying a complete portable fishing kit.
Fishing is not a one day sport and is something you gradually grow into, as you experience the thrill of catching a real fish and reeling it in. As your experience grows, you will be more comfortable with using different types of rods in different situations, based on which you can then upgrade your fishing rod for a more professional one that is high on features.
FAQs on Fishing Rods
1. Are All Fishing Rods The Same?
While the basic design of all fishing rods is the same, they all differ in the materials they are made from and the different features they have.
Fishing rods also differ in their length, based on how often and where you are planning to use them, for example, seawater fishing rods differ vastly from surf fishing rods in terms of size and usability, while fishing rods designed for travelers have a telescopic design that can easily be assembled whenever required.
2. Why Is The Selection Of The Material From Which A Fishing Rod Made Important?
Where you are planning to fish is an important factor when you are considering this question. If you are considering to fish for heavier fish and in the sea, then you need to consider a stronger and more durable fishing rod which could be made from fiberglass or a combination of graphite and fiberglass, due to the strength and flexibility of these materials. You also need to make sure that your set is anticorrosive no matter the salt level of the water.
If you are planning to fish only in streams or go fly fishing then you could consider a rod made from much lighter material and one that is not too expensive, since the size of the catch would not be too heavy in such scenarios.
3. What Are The Types Of Bait That I Should Use For Fishing?
The type of bait you want to use depends on the type of fish you are planning to catch and where you are planning to go fishing. Fly baits can be used if you are planning to go fishing in streams or small ponds, while live baits could be used in the sea and while looking for heavier fish to catch.
It would be a good idea to seek the advice of local fishermen in the area you are planning to fish in while considering the type of bait you should use.
4. Does One Need A Permit To Go Fishing?
Depending on the rules and regulations prevailing in your state, you may need a permit to go fishing especially if you are planning to go fishing in National parks and areas that have endangered species of fishes. You may also need a permit if you are planning to go fishing for commercial purposes.
Enjoy Your Fishing Experience With The Best Fishing Rods
Given the easiness and popularity of fishing, it is no wonder that a lot of people from the existing generation want to try their hand at fishing. However, fishing is not suitable for everyone as it requires a lot of patience and hard work with a bit of luck thrown in.
One may spend hours and even days without having a single catch, or be surprised with catching the biggest trout in town within a few minutes of casting one’s line.
Being well prepared for everything is the name of the game when it comes to fishing, so always make sure you have the best fishing rods and accessories with you everywhere you go. Fishing is a great recreational activity and also a good opportunity to bond with one’s family and kids, so do make time for it whenever you can.